Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Egg Allergy and Flu Shots

I plan to "egg" my son today...with a hard-boiled egg.

Actually, the Allergist plans to "egg" my son today to see if he is still allergic to eggs. 

Earlier this year, we took my son to the lab to get his blood drawn for allergy testing. This time, he tested "negative" for egg allergy. As a result, we have to do follow-up tests which involves a skin test and then making him eat an egg in front of the Allergist (oral test). I certainly hope that their findings are correct--and even more so, that they wouldn't have to administer the scary "EpiPen" (I am convinced that the EpiPen is big enough to scar your brain with trauma for life) in case my son were to have a very severe reaction.

When my son turned one, the clinic pushed for him to get the flu shot. Soon after he got the shot, he broke out in hives all over his body and it lasted for days--30 long days. Then he had pneumonia. He was miserable, and so was I. It was heartbreaking.

We returned to the clinic several times to find out what was wrong--to no avail. Finally, we met with the Pediatrics Chief who later had an inkling that my son could be allergic to eggs (evidently, flu shots have an egg component in them). Sure enough, when we went to go see the Allergist, we found out that he was indeed allergic to eggs.
Since then, my son has skipped getting the flu shot (maybe that's a good thing).

Perhaps, if today's outcome proves that my son is no longer allergic to eggs, the clinic might just start pushing for him to get the flu shot, again. 

I personally have stopped getting the flu shot.

Here I am, deep in the process of getting into medical school, yet I refuse to get a flu shot. Well, until I get a clear understanding and grasp as to what that stuff is made of and what it does to humans, I shall continue to refuse to get one (of course, unless it's mandated for healthcare professionals). Until then, I'll stay put.

Anyway, time to see the Allergist. 'Til my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment