Friday, October 12, 2012

Learning How to Read and Spell with Shaka

Aloha! We spent some quality time with Shaka the Tutor, again, yesterday. I thought of creating yet another PowerPoint presentation (where our virtual pet, Shaka, "lives") to check if my older son really is learning how to spell words correctly and construct sentences properly. I wanted it to be a family activity, so I took his list of spelling words and made one slide per word, along with an example of how to use the word in a sentence.

The big letters allowed me to follow along by looking at the computer screen from a distance (while tending to a newborn baby) and nodding in approval as each child did their part correctly.




The idea was to have my younger son launch the presentation and read the words and sentences out loud, as if he were quizzing his older brother. Somehow, the illusion of quizzing his big brother certainly motivated him to want to read more...and more...and more.

This method allowed both children to learn from what would have otherwise been only one child's activity. My younger son is learning how to build upon his reading and vocabulary while my older one is sharpening his spelling and grammatical skills. In addition, both children are learning how to read and listen to--and equally important, understand and follow--instructions.



Repetition is also important to learning, along with adding complexity (or difficulty). My younger son was able to listen as I corrected a few of my older son's sentences, especially when it comes to knowing when to use "more" or "-er" (there's no such thing as "more worse"--or worse yet, "worser"-- but it could be "much worse") and when to use:
  •  "your" vs. "you're"
  • "were" vs. "we're"
  • "their" vs. "there" vs. "they're"
  • "farther" vs. "further"
I see a lot of these errors whenever I find the time to read other people's Facebook posts and even when I would receive emails at work and/or review documents when I had a full-time job.

Shaka certainly has been keeping busy these past few days. Thankfully for him, today is Friday. On that note, here in Hawaii, you'll hear a lot of people say, "Happy Aloha Friday", as we conclude the typical work week.

So...

Happy Aloha Friday!






No comments:

Post a Comment