Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mentally Preparing for the Philippine NMAT

Eighteen days to go, and it's time to take the Philippine NMAT in Los Angeles!!!

I still have not studied. If it's any consolation (to myself), I have prepared myself in the last 14 days by reading up a lot on what it's like to go to med school in the Philippines and what it would take to be able to practice medicine in the United States, while dreaming up what it would be like to go on missions trips in the Asia Pacific.

Meanwhile, I was able to secure babysitting assistance for our three children so that I can spend some (very needed) time to study. Although, I must say, I can't completely "sign out" of parenting (then again, once we sign up for parenting, we are "signed in" for life) while studying since I have to periodically take a break to pump breastmilk while away from our infant. I'm not sure if this information is considered "TMI" for other countries/cultures; however, here in the United States, breastfeeding is encouraged.  For example, in most workplaces, we even had our very own lactation room, and we were allowed to excuse ourselves from meetings to do our "mommy-business". I know this will be a challenge for me during the NMAT test day, so I'll make sure to give the test coordinator a call to find out what the break schedules are in between lunch, if any. If none, at least, I'll know how to prepare.

Anyway, I got myself all psyched up to begin studying today. I went to FedEx Kinko's to print out the two NMAT Practice Tests (which I had downloaded off of the CEM-NMAT website after completing my registration) that are 32 pages each, along with the corresponding Test Key. I also printed out the NMAT ID form as we will each need to present that on the day of the test (we'll still need to have our photos taken so that we can affix them on our form). I also went to my Alma Mater to obtain a copy of my transcript as I'll also need to present that to the test coordinator.

I'm not sure if we'll need these but I also purchased three laminated BarCharts, Inc. Quick Study Academic Guides, namely in Medical Terminology of the Body, Anatomy, and Chemistry, at $5.95USD each. If anything, I can pass these down to our children. Also, we purchased Kaplan's GRE Study Book, just in case we need to cross-reference. So we added all of these to our NMAT review "arsenal", which already contains the two Practice Tests from CEM-NMAT and the MSA NMAT Biology reviewer that we purchased from Amazon at $4.99USD (Kindle-only version).

Today, however, I will focus on creating flash cards out of the NMAT Practice Test (Set 1). My supplies include unruled 3x5 white index cards; blue, red, and black gel pens; and highlighters in five different colors (I doubt that I would want to use all colors). My morale-builders include my very own, customized Starbucks drink (since the US branches don't seem to offer the Creme Brulee Macchiato that I had in Bangkok, Thailand, last year), iced water (complemented with the green Starbucks straw especially made for their Venti-sized drinks), a drive on the Windward-side of the island, and this blog post!!!

If you are wondering about my customized Starbucks drink, here it is: Caramel Brulee Latte on ice, layered, with espresso shots on top, sprinkled with brulee candy and salt, then topped with whipped cream, and again sprinkled with brulee candy and salt. Venti.

View from the Pali Lookout
If you are wondering about my drive along the Windward-side of the Island of Oahu, here is a photo (although this photo was not taken today as I dare not take photos while I am driving; I still wish my car had the technical capability of having the windshield take a panoramic photo, with the option to share it via email, social networking sites, etc, via a voice command--I heard a rumor that Japan has these technologies designed for police cars). It is quite relaxing to be driving along roads, bridges, and tunnels surrounded by majestic, fog-capped mountains! When it's raining, some of these mountains begin to showcase waterfalls! What a beautiful island this is!

Anyway, it is time to begin studying since it's just a few minutes before 5:00PM (and my caffeine rush is starting to dissipate). Maybe I will study for a three-hour block or for as long as my babysitting assistance holds out. We shall see.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post! Me, I also need an MSA reviewer. I'll try to purchase one from MSA.

    ReplyDelete