Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Mother's Version of "Stars and Stripes"

110405-N-ZC343-192
Photo by U.S. Pacific Fleet on Flickr
I visited the Philippine Consulate General Honolulu Office again today because we needed to get more of our medical school application documents authenticated for use in the Philippines. This is where I discovered that I had earned additional "stars and stripes" (yes, at a Philippine Consulate instead of an American Embassy) over the last few months. If after reading this, you decide to look at yourself in the mirror only to find yourself looking confused, please read on. Allow me to share how things unfolded.

After waiting in line, I set my medical school application documents on the counter. Somehow, it appeared as if the gentleman at the reception area couldn't believe that we are serious about wanting to study in the Philippines. I'm not sure if it's because I look too old to be a student or that he is just used to encountering Filipino-Americans who would rather study in the United States (then again, he could've had an entirely different reason for appearing highly intrigued). When he later heard that my husband and I were hoping to be able to settle in the Philippines after finishing medical school and residency, he seemed even more puzzled.

Unlike those who are wanting to emigrate to the United States to seek employment or those wishing to spend their retirement years in the Philippines, I shared how we have been moved with the desire to serve a small community (commonly known as a "baranggay") there through "God and medicine" and later on through improving livelihood by means of native, organic agriculture (and hopefully horticulture) without exploiting the people and the country's natural resources.

Sounds like a huge and impossible vision; let's just say, it is exciting to see where God will lead. For now, all we know is that God has led us to study there.

In passing, that same gentleman saw my 2x2 photo that was attached to my application. He couldn't believe that the picture belonged to me and that if it did, that it had been taken recently (it was taken only within the last two weeks). I wasn't offended at all; as a matter of fact, I found the experience to be quite funny (it was apparent that he didn't intend to be mean or rude--it's just something that I had learned to get accustomed to in our Filipino culture)! There I was at the reception area trying to gather all of my documents after having just walked back and forth from one end of Punchbowl Street to the other (and back) just so that I could meet all of the pre-requisites needed to get our documents authenticated by the Philippine Consulate General Honolulu. Before that, I drove to several banks, hoping to get our documents notarized. I finally succeeded during my third attempt, by God's grace. In between such trips, the children had to use the bathroom--now even that was an adventure in and of itself! We had to walk and drive--and walk again--just to find a bathroom.

All of today's activities are enough to make me look as if I had aged tremendously in the last two weeks--that and having only two hours of sleep. I can't really blame the guy for thinking that I was using an old photo.

Just a year and a half ago, I had graced the Philippine Consulate General Honolulu's premises ala-VIP in my size-4 dresses and 4-inch designer stilettos, back when I was still gainfully employed. There, I was introduced to the Consul as well as to well-known Filipino actor, Joel Torre.

Oh, the metamorphosis that mothers have to go through during pregnancy (and postpartum)!

Thankfully, I have been through this before and know that there is hope!

I don't have to maintain this "postpartum look" if I so choose. I can also stay in this "form" for as long as I choose.

I have a choice.

Well, I have made the choice not to go on a diet at this moment, for doing so would take away the time that I do have to focus on my husband and children as well as our application to get into medical school (which includes all other logistical details involved with such a process--moving out of the country, for one).

Priorities, priorities.

Yes, I am cutting myself some slack--even if that means having to wear a bigger pair of slacks (so to speak)!

After all, it's beauty on the inside that matters more than that on the outside. While that certainly does not give us an excuse to neglect our physical health, we also shouldn't have to worry about over-burdening ourselves (and those around us) by obsessing over our looks.

This last pregnancy (including postpartum) has been quite a struggle; but, I have grown a lot as a result (evidently both inside and out). I'll gladly take the scars and wrinkles (otherwise known as "stars and stripes") that come with it. Besides, I have rightfully earned my stars and stripes. Every single one of them. Now, all I need is a flag to prove it. Should I then fly it high and mighty or half mast as if to mourn for someone who just died?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way.

I am sure that medical school will give me even more of these stars and stripes, but I am not about to unduly earn any more by fussing over the ones that I have painstakingly earned as a mother.


Disclaimer:  I am by no means associated with any of the organizations listed in this blog post; I am only sharing my personal experiences and findings regarding such a process. Therefore, it is prudent to visit the official websites of these organizations directly to get the most up-to-date and accurate information.


No comments:

Post a Comment