Friday, February 22, 2013

When And Where It's Okay To Be Spammed

SPAM musubis at Target
Today, I made 40 sets of SPAM musubi all on my own, for the very first time. That's a total of 80 "mini" SPAM musubis!

One can of SPAM can make approximately 10 musubis.

Did I mention that it took me 5 hours to complete this task?!

It's called my "labor of love".

After deducting my so-called "expenses", I calculated that if I were to have sold my SPAM musubis to a major distributor, I would've probably just ended up earning $2.00 per hour (on the high side).

That's right. $2.00 per hour.

I am going to med school. I would like to make more than $2.00 per hour.

Okay, okay...I'm not going to med school for that purpose. Oh yeah, I was not planning on selling any of my homemade SPAM musubis. I made it for our family. Our two older boys can easily devour 10 SPAM musubis in less than 10 minutes! Who knows, maybe they figured out how to swallow it whole.

SPAM cookbooks and other SPAM stuff for sale at Target
For those of you who are not familiar with the SPAM musubi, it's basically a rice ball with SPAM wrapped in nori (seaweed). There are different variations; the one in the photo (above) is a combination of rice, SPAM, egg, and furikake. It sells for approximately $1.75 each.

Perhaps, I need to purchase a SPAM cookbook before leaving for the Philippines.

SPAM is such a hit here in Hawaii!!!

There's even an annual street festival known as the Waikiki SPAM Jam to celebrate our love for SPAM. I've never attended any of them since it can get pretty crazy out there, I heard. The town-bound traffic on that day speaks volumes about the impact of SPAM on this small island.


SPAM-flavored macadamia nuts
Then, there's SPAM-flavored macadamia nuts, a fusion of two popular items in Hawaii. I've tried these before and can't really say whether I enjoyed eating them or not. Perhaps, it's an acquired taste. There's quite a bit of flavored macadamia nut varieties on this island; I usually would try them all. Quite addicting, actually (except for the SPAM one, in my opinion).

So back to the SPAM section at Target...

There's even more stuff to see and buy. There's so much "spam" here, literally speaking!

If only they had an iPad case or even just a composition notebook with a SPAM cover, I'd consider purchasing them as part of the school supplies that I'd be needing for med school. Ha!

All kinds of SPAM stuff at Target
Yes, school supplies.

I feel like a kid all over, again. I'm actually thinking about what kind of supplies I'll be needing for med school.

How about some SPAM?

Yeah, maybe I can ask my friends in the U.S. to send me some SPAM while I'm in med school!!!

This would be the only time that I'd ever welcome any kind of SPAM in my mailbox or doorstep.

Gotta watch the diet, though! I've heard many stories of weight gain during med school...

But hey, I've been gaining weight ever since--thanks to my third child! It would be nice to start shedding some of this "baby fat".

Perhaps, it's time to stop eating SPAM (again).


DISCLAIMER: I am by no means affiliated with any of the organizations listed in this blogpost. For the most accurate and recent information on any of these organizations, please visit their website or contact them directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment