Thursday, February 21, 2013

Crazy Weather, Crazy Drivers, And A Murder Suspect On The Loose

'Twas a rainy day on the island of Oahu, yesterday. My husband and I decided to drive two separate cars as we both had appointments that morning. The traffic was horrible, and to make matters worse, the road was unsafe. Not only was it slippery, it also reflected the sun's bright rays straight into your eyes. I wasn't wearing any sunglasses--I have lost all of them as a result of my many recent travels between airports. The sun was so bright that I could only see what was outside in front of me; I could not read the numbers on the gas gauge nor could see the digital clock inside my car.

I was driving directly behind my husband's car, when suddenly, the driver in front of him slammed his breaks for no apparent reason. Thankfully, my husband was able to react fast enough, and by a mere strand of hair, so was I. Unfortunately, the lady driver behind me wasn't paying attention to the road; she did not expect anyone to hit the breaks as traffic had already started clearing up on the H-1 Freeway. When she finally realized that my car wasn't moving in front of her, she hit the breaks as hard as she could, tires screeching and all. My husband, though two cars away from her, saw and heard what just happened, so he inched his car as close as he could to the car in front of him. I did the same.

It was a very close call. Thankfully, God saved us from this one. Otherwise, both of our cars would have been involved in the same, multiple-car accident, with all three of our kids in my car's back seat. All it took was to have an inattentive driver ahead of my husband and another inattentive driver right behind me.

Needless to say, we arrived at our destination safely. After my first appointment that day, I had planned on going to the State Capitol District (where the courts are), with the intent to submit a letter in person disputing my speeding ticket.

However, the rain continued to pour. In addition, I was still emotionally shaken by the accident that could've easily taken place earlier on that day. It could've taken our lives, just like it did to my husband's father and brother, many years ago. My husband barely survived and had to get airlifted to the nearest Trauma Center.

God spared us from having that accident.

But, that wasn't the only thing that God had spared us from that day.

Tired and all, I decided to just go home right after my appointment.

"Forget about contesting my speeding ticket today," I convinced myself.

While driving, my kids and I noticed a rainbow up ahead. It was a rather unique one, mind you. It didn't take the form of a normal arched shape but rather, it appeared somewhat flat--as if to form a bridge that spanned from inside the Oahu Community Correctional Center (more commonly known as "O Triple C") all the way to the other side of the road.

If only inmates knew how to cross "rainbow bridges",
they'd be free at last!
Not long after we arrived home, we heard in the news that a murder suspect had escaped while awaiting trial on second-degree murder charges in connection with a 2012 killing. He had escaped just about the same time I was originally planning on being in the same area to contest my speeding ticket.

Good thing I decided to go home, instead.

Thank you, Rain.

Thank you, Potential Accident.

Most of all, thank you, Lord!!!

Soon after the escape, this news article stated that sources reported at least two incidents of a man attempting to carjack women in downtown Honolulu. Later, police confirmed that one of the incidents was related to the escaped inmate. I wonder if it was the incident that involved a man trying to pull a woman out of a car.

That victim could've been me. It could've been any or all of my children.

Thankfully, the escapee was captured at around 7:20PM on the same day.

We stayed inside our house the entire time.

God spared us, yet again!



DISCLAIMER: I am by no means affiliated with any of the organizations listed in this blogpost. For the most accurate and recent information on any of these organizations, please visit their website or contact them directly.



No comments:

Post a Comment